Warming up your car in the morning has been a necessity this winter. But during the coldest months of the year, carbon monoxide from your vehicle or your overworked furnace can be a hazard in your home.
That's why tonight KELOLAND's Ben Dunsmoor is focusing on the dangers of carbon monoxide and some simple ways to prevent poisoning.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates more than 400 people die every year from unintentional carbon monoxide exposure and 20,000 are hospitalized.
One of the biggest sources of carbon monoxide can be your car warming up in your garage during the winter.
But just how much carbon monoxide can fill up your garage and even your home with the garage door open and the garage door closed? With the help of Sioux Falls Fire Rescue that's the question we're going to answer in tonight's Eye on KELOLAND.
"A lot of times we'll come on scene and find out it was someone who started their car in the garage and that's why their CO detector is going off,” Sioux Falls Fire Rescue Division Chief Jeff Helm said.
Tonight at 10, we're going to test the levels inside a garage with the car running and show you exactly how quickly the levels can rise.
Also, your furnace can be a main culprit for filling your home with carbon monoxide. We're going to have tips on how to make sure that appliance is keeping you warm and safe tonight on KELOLAND News.