South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard is asking the National Park Service to let the state run the campground at Wind Cave National Park.
The federal agency has said that the 64-site Elk Mountain Campground would be closed through the 2013 season because of budget cuts.
Daugaard says in a letter to National Park Service Director Jonathan Jarvis that the state "would be pleased" to operate the campground this year.
The Republican governor says he believes the state could make money on the facility because 6,600 people camped there last year.
Republican U.S. Sen. John Thune from South Dakota had earlier sent a letter to Jarvis questioning whether the park service is playing politics by intentionally trying to make the cuts more visible to the public.
Most Popular Today
Sioux Falls Cupcake Shop Plans To Move Across Town
- 2.General, Retail & Restaurants
Rising Sales At SF Store For Record Powerball Drawing
- 3.Gas & Energy, General
Gas Prices Continue To Climb
- 4.Development, General
On KELO's 60th Anniversary, We Remember The Empire Mall Opening
Golf Course Construction At Grand Falls
- 6.Development, Outdoors
Huron Water Park Set To Open Next Friday
- 7.Development, General
Canton Aquatic Center Campaign Surpasses $250,000
Final Weekend For Spring Parade Of Homes
Homes Ready For Final Weekend Of Parade Of Homes
- 10.Livestock, Crops, Agriculture
Former Texas Congressman To Speak At SD Ag Summit