Friday Evening Business Brief
June 13, 2014, 5:47 PM
- The stock market is closing higher on corporate deal news and an improved forecast from chipmaker Intel. The S&P 500 rose six points to close at 1,936. The gain snapped a three-day losing streak for the index. The Dow Jones industrial average climbed 41 points, or 0.3 percent, to 16,775. The Nasdaq gained 13 points, or 0.3 percent, to 4,310.
- The price of oil is climbing because Iraq's insurgency is threatening to disrupt crude exports. Iraq is OPEC's No. 2 producer. Benchmark U.S. crude for July delivery rose 38 cents to $106.91 a barrel today in New York. Oil prices are up 4 percent this week.
- Target Corp.'s final shareholder vote tally is showing some dissent against key board members. All 10 nominees were elected to the board Wednesday at the discounter's annual shareholders' meeting. But the rise in votes against several key board members underscores how a massive data breach at the Minneapolis-based company is eroding faith among its investors.
- The Justice Department is finalizing a lawsuit against Citigroup over the bank's sale of residential mortgage-backed securities after negotiations to resolve the matter broke down this week. That's according to two people with direct knowledge of the matter. Other big banks have also been pursued for similar conduct in the years preceding the 2008 financial crisis.
- Facebook has successfully defended itself against a lawsuit that claimed the company infringed on patents held by a now-deceased Dutch computer programmer who launched a website called "Surfbook" more than a decade ago. But Surfbook never got off the ground. A jury in federal court in Virginia returned the verdict today in favor of Facebook.
© 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
10/22/2014 10:05 PM
Your options for sushi in Sioux Falls have just been cut by three. The restaurants mysteriously shut down this week, leaving customers and employees a...
10/20/2014 12:18 PM
Prime real estate on 41st Street in Sioux Falls is for sale. Valentino's Restaurant at 41st Street and Western Avenue has been listed for $1.35 mi...
10/22/2014 4:45 PM
Three sushi restaurants have all closed for business in Sioux Falls.
10/20/2014 12:31 PM
A longtime fast food option in Sioux Falls, the Long John Silver's restaurant is closing after more than 30 years in business.
10/21/2014 11:00 AM
Gas prices have fallen to a nearly four-year low nationwide at an average of $3.09 a gallon. AAA South Dakota says U.S. gas prices could drop to...