- Stocks are closing slightly lower, ending the worst month for the market in more than a year. Traders aren't happy with a government report showing Americans' income and spending barely rose in July. The Dow Jones industrial average fell 30 1/2 points to close at 14,810 today. The broader S&P 500 index fell five points to 1,632. The Nasdaq composite fell 30.
- The price of oil is down. Benchmark crude for October delivery fell $1.15, or 1.1 percent, to $107.65 a barrel today on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Still, the recent surge in oil prices is starting to affect motorists. Triple-A says the average price for a gallon of gas rose by 2.1 cents to $3.59 today, the biggest one-day price increase since July 17.
- Campbell Soup is recalling 80 cases of canned pasta because they are mislabeled: the label says the cans contain chicken broth, but they actually contain SpaghettiOs with meatballs. Campbell says the cans labeled Swanson 100% Natural Chicken Broth contain wheat, milk, and soy, which are allergens. They were distributed in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Texas.
- Nestle Purina PetCare Co. is recalling some of its dog food because of a possible salmonella risk. The recall is limited to 3.5-pound bags of its Purina ONE beyOnd Our White Meat Chicken & Whole Barley Recipe Adult Dry Dog Food with the sell by date of "Oct. 2014." Nestle Purina PetCare says no illnesses have been reported.
- Time Warner cable customers could miss some season-opening NFL games next weekend. There's been no reported progress in negotiations between CBS and Time Warner, which has blocked CBS from customers' homes in Dallas, Los Angeles and New York since Aug. 2. The two companies are at odds over how much the cable operator pays to CBS per subscriber.
Most Popular Today
New Golf & Fitness Concept Coming To Sioux Falls
- 2.Retail & Restaurants
Local Applebee's Restaurants Won't Have Tablets Yet
- 3.Your Money Matters
GreatLife Golf & Fitness To Come To Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls Experiencing Financial Prosperity
Dunes Eye Consultants Building New Office, Adding Jobs
- 6.Your Money Matters, Affordable Care Act
HealthCare.gov Gets Up To Speed
Monday Afternoon Business Brief
Tuesday Morning Business Brief
Monday Evening Business Brief
Wednesday Morning Business Brief