- Stocks are ending the day with modest gains after recovering from an early stumble caused by a poor report on the housing market. The Dow Jones industrial average rose nearly 47 points, or 0.3 percent, to close at 15,010. The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose 6 ½ points, or 0.4 percent, to 1,663. And the Nasdaq composite climbed 19 points, or 0.5 percent, to 3,657.
- Facebook's stock has closed above $40 for the first time. The stock closed up 5.2 percent at $40.55 today, touching the highest price since its IPO. Facebook went public in May 2012 at $38 per share. The social network's shares have gained 53 percent since July 24, when it reported strong growth in mobile ad revenue and a solid profit during its second quarter.
- The price of oil is up for a second straight day. Benchmark crude for October delivery gained $1.39, or 1.4 percent, to close at $106.42 a barrel in New York. Meanwhile, gasoline prices have ticked higher as the summer driving season winds down. The average price for a gallon of gas ticked higher to $3.54 a gallon. Prices are down 9 cents so far in August.
- A former hedge fund portfolio manager has pleaded not guilty in New York to charges in a rewritten indictment that accuses him of pursuing an inside investment edge from more than 20 doctors. Mathew Martoma entered the plea today in federal court in Manhattan. The Boca Raton, Fla., resident remains free on bail.
- Attorneys have signed an agreement to dismiss a sexual harassment and discrimination lawsuit against celebrity cook Paula Deen and her brother. A document filed today in U.S. District Court in Savannah, Ga., says both sides reached a settlement "without any award of costs or fees to any party." A judge dismissed the race discrimination claims on Aug. 12.
Most Popular Today
- 1.Retail & Restaurants
New Restaurant/Strip Mall Planned For West SF
Flap Over Float
- 3.Retail & Restaurants, Shops
Paying South Dakota Use Tax On Online Purchases
Famous Faces, All-Day, Everyday
City Transfers Ownership Of Spearfish Golf Course
- 6.Your Money Matters
My Money Check Up
- 7.Your Money Matters
Development To Continue In 2014
- 8.Shops, Shops
Cyber Monday Running Well Ahead Of Last Year
- 9.Retail & Restaurants, Shops
Cyber Monday Helps Small Shop
- 10.Your Money Matters
Green Dot MoneyPak Scam Going Around Again