Friday Evening Business Brief
October 26, 2012, 5:17 PM
- Wall Street's key averages were little changed today, capping a negative week. The Dow gained nearly 4 points to 13,107. The S&P 500 fell 1 point, while the Nasdaq added nearly 2 points on the trading session.
- One newly released survey shows consumer confidence on the rise this month. The University of Michigan's final index of October consumer sentiment rose more than 4 points to 82.6 from September. That's the highest level seen since September 2007 - three months before the Great Recession began.
- Economists say today's report showing a rise in third quarter GDP of 2 percent should be sustained through the end of this year. The increase from a 1.3 percent rate in the second quarter was partly because of more spending by consumers and the federal government.
- The price of oil rose slightly amid concern that a massive East Coast storm could affect refinery output. Benchmark crude increased 23 cents to $86.28 a barrel.
- Some U.S. airlines are giving travelers a way out if they want to scrap their plans due to Hurricane Sandy. JetBlue, US Airways and Spirit Airlines are offering waivers to customers who wish to reschedule their flights without paying the typical fee of up to $150. The offers cover passengers flying just about anywhere from Latin America to New Hampshire.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
10/5/2015 10:02 PM
Our KELOLAND News investigation revealed some of the problems surrounding the multimillion dollar GEAR UP grant that caused the state to end its partn...
10/2/2015 3:14 PM
Phelps administered the GEAR UP program which prepared and encouraged Native American students to enroll into higher educaton.
10/2/2015 2:03 PM
Marco's Pizza filed a building permit to set up shop in a new stripmall on South Sycamore Avenue.
10/6/2015 6:05 PM
Half a million documents that are supposed to be on the South Dakota's Secretary of State website are not online. The current Secretary Shan...
10/5/2015 3:08 PM
On October 21, the same day Marty McFly traveled through time, the soda company is releasing Pepsi Perfect.