Friday Evening Business Brief
September 21, 2012, 5:35 PM
- Capping a week that saw stocks little changed, Wall Street left the key averages mixed at today's closing bell. The Dow fell 17 points to 13,580. The S&P 500 was nearly flat, while the Nasdaq composite gained 4 points.
- People converged on stores around the globe to get the new iPhone 5 on the first day of its release. By the end of the month, analysts say Apple will likely have shipped as many as 10 million of the devices.
- The price of gold notched a new high for the year today amid speculation that Spain might be working on an effort to secure financial help. December gold rose $7.80 to finish at $1,778 an ounce. Earlier in the day, it traded as high as $1,790 an ounce, beating the previous high for the year set in February.
- Oil prices fell more than 6 percent this week, but settled higher on the trading session. Benchmark crude rose 47 cents to $92.89.
- Wal-Mart is looking to expand halfway around the world. It plans to open stores in India in the next year or so. It would be the first global player to react to the government's decision to open the country's huge retail market to outsiders. It isn't saying how many stores just yet.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
10/17/2014 12:10 PM
A South Dakotan is a winner on the Allegiant Airlines' first in-flight game show called "The Game Plane." The reality show is film...
10/13/2014 6:12 PM
An initiated measure on the South Dakota ballot this November proposes to raise the state's minimum wage from $7.25 per hour to $8.50. Suppo...
10/15/2014 11:45 AM
Unglued: Christmas Market, will open in the space formerly occupied by the Book Shop in the Carpenter Building on Phillips Avenue from Nov. 20 through...
10/17/2014 2:15 PM
It was only a matter of time before scammers started capitalizing on the Ebola scare. The Better Business Bureau is warning consumers about a va...
10/16/2014 10:05 PM
Connor Burtis is holding a treasure hunt with the ultimate prize: A handcrafted piece of furniture.