Friday Evening Business Brief
September 21, 2012, 5:35 PM
- Capping a week that saw stocks little changed, Wall Street left the key averages mixed at today's closing bell. The Dow fell 17 points to 13,580. The S&P 500 was nearly flat, while the Nasdaq composite gained 4 points.
- People converged on stores around the globe to get the new iPhone 5 on the first day of its release. By the end of the month, analysts say Apple will likely have shipped as many as 10 million of the devices.
- The price of gold notched a new high for the year today amid speculation that Spain might be working on an effort to secure financial help. December gold rose $7.80 to finish at $1,778 an ounce. Earlier in the day, it traded as high as $1,790 an ounce, beating the previous high for the year set in February.
- Oil prices fell more than 6 percent this week, but settled higher on the trading session. Benchmark crude rose 47 cents to $92.89.
- Wal-Mart is looking to expand halfway around the world. It plans to open stores in India in the next year or so. It would be the first global player to react to the government's decision to open the country's huge retail market to outsiders. It isn't saying how many stores just yet.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
8/28/2015 6:00 PM
Homeowners aren't the only ones cleaning up flood water. Many businesses were also flooded out in Thursday night's storm. In fact,...
8/27/2015 4:50 PM
A historic piece of property on East 10th Street in Sioux Falls has a new owner.
9/1/2015 5:08 PM
If you're one of those people who hates missing the end of breakfast hours at McDonald's, hang on just a little longer: the chain says its bre...
8/27/2015 11:41 AM
A casino is the first signed tenant for Raintree On Louise at 85th Street and Louise Avenue.
8/28/2015 10:10 PM
They are stately buildings in the heart of Sioux Falls that have sat empty for two years - but now, the former School for the Deaf property on East 10...