Friday Evening Business Brief
September 21, 2012, 5:35 PM
- Capping a week that saw stocks little changed, Wall Street left the key averages mixed at today's closing bell. The Dow fell 17 points to 13,580. The S&P 500 was nearly flat, while the Nasdaq composite gained 4 points.
- People converged on stores around the globe to get the new iPhone 5 on the first day of its release. By the end of the month, analysts say Apple will likely have shipped as many as 10 million of the devices.
- The price of gold notched a new high for the year today amid speculation that Spain might be working on an effort to secure financial help. December gold rose $7.80 to finish at $1,778 an ounce. Earlier in the day, it traded as high as $1,790 an ounce, beating the previous high for the year set in February.
- Oil prices fell more than 6 percent this week, but settled higher on the trading session. Benchmark crude rose 47 cents to $92.89.
- Wal-Mart is looking to expand halfway around the world. It plans to open stores in India in the next year or so. It would be the first global player to react to the government's decision to open the country's huge retail market to outsiders. It isn't saying how many stores just yet.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
7/29/2015 1:58 PM
An Allegiant Airlines pilot declared a fuel emergency and had to land at a North Dakota airport even though the airport was closed for the Blue Angels...
7/29/2015 9:53 AM
Just a year after opening on East 10th Street and Bahnson Avenue in Sioux Falls, Lick The Spoon restaurant has closed its doors. Angela Becker o...
7/30/2015 5:18 PM
A successful online retailer is opening her first brick and mortar shop in Sioux Falls.
7/29/2015 1:00 PM
Barber tells KELOLAND News while the plans still have yet to be finalized, they call for a couple of apartment buildings with eight to 12 units, as we...
7/27/2015 9:32 AM
The settlement also forces the car maker to repurchase more than half a million Ram pickup trucks built between 2008 and 2012 because defective steeri...