Friday Evening Business Brief
September 14, 2012, 5:18 PM
- Stocks closed higher, capping a positive week for Wall Street. The Dow today gained 54 points to 13,593. The S&P and the Nasdaq both rose nearly 6 points.
- Spain says it will present a new set of economic reforms by the end of the month, an indication the struggling country will soon ask for financial help. That's expected to be a prelude to Spain's tapping of a new European Central Bank bond-buying plan.
- Chicago's nearly weeklong teachers strike appears headed toward a resolution. Negotiators have emerged from marathon talks saying they have achieved a "framework" that could end the walkout in time for students to return to class Monday.
- Delivery times have grown longer as Apple and carriers today started taking orders for the iPhone 5. One analyst says expected delivery time from Apple had recently grown to two weeks.
- Crude oil rose nearly 3 percent this week. Benchmark crude today settled up 69 cents to $99 a barrel in New York.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
4/21/2015 5:18 AM
The longtime sprint car track near Brandon will be renamed Badlands Motor Speedway after the 2015 season.
4/20/2015 1:14 PM
The retailer released its Lilly Pulitzer for Target collection, and many stores were sold out within minutes.
4/21/2015 6:00 PM
Started back in the late 1950s, Huset's Speedway is almost as old as the dirt the cars race on. But that's about to change.
4/21/2015 5:03 PM
Plans are in the works for a 40,000 square foot athletic training center in southeast Sioux Falls. With the Pentagon and the new tennis facility...
4/22/2015 6:03 AM
The online retailer is asking the city of Shakopee for about $5 million in tax breaks to build the 820,000-square-foot center and warehouse.