Friday Evening Business Brief
September 14, 2012, 5:18 PM
- Stocks closed higher, capping a positive week for Wall Street. The Dow today gained 54 points to 13,593. The S&P and the Nasdaq both rose nearly 6 points.
- Spain says it will present a new set of economic reforms by the end of the month, an indication the struggling country will soon ask for financial help. That's expected to be a prelude to Spain's tapping of a new European Central Bank bond-buying plan.
- Chicago's nearly weeklong teachers strike appears headed toward a resolution. Negotiators have emerged from marathon talks saying they have achieved a "framework" that could end the walkout in time for students to return to class Monday.
- Delivery times have grown longer as Apple and carriers today started taking orders for the iPhone 5. One analyst says expected delivery time from Apple had recently grown to two weeks.
- Crude oil rose nearly 3 percent this week. Benchmark crude today settled up 69 cents to $99 a barrel in New York.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
4/10/2014 6:00 PM
It's already being called one of the biggest security threats the Internet has ever seen.
4/11/2014 6:22 AM
The company based in West Fargo, N.D., on Thursday cited a slow recovery in construction sector among the reasons for the move, which will leave 128 p...
4/10/2014 9:33 AM
A confounding computer bug called "Heartbleed" is causing major security headaches across the Internet.
4/11/2014 5:44 AM
Family Dollar says it will be cutting jobs and closing about 370 underperforming stores as it looks for ways to improve its financial performance. It ...
4/14/2014 10:10 PM
Drivers who've fueled up in Rapid City are being warned that their debit and credit card numbers may have been stolen after "numerous" s...