Friday Evening Business Brief
September 14, 2012, 5:18 PM
- Stocks closed higher, capping a positive week for Wall Street. The Dow today gained 54 points to 13,593. The S&P and the Nasdaq both rose nearly 6 points.
- Spain says it will present a new set of economic reforms by the end of the month, an indication the struggling country will soon ask for financial help. That's expected to be a prelude to Spain's tapping of a new European Central Bank bond-buying plan.
- Chicago's nearly weeklong teachers strike appears headed toward a resolution. Negotiators have emerged from marathon talks saying they have achieved a "framework" that could end the walkout in time for students to return to class Monday.
- Delivery times have grown longer as Apple and carriers today started taking orders for the iPhone 5. One analyst says expected delivery time from Apple had recently grown to two weeks.
- Crude oil rose nearly 3 percent this week. Benchmark crude today settled up 69 cents to $99 a barrel in New York.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
10/17/2014 12:10 PM
A South Dakotan is a winner on the Allegiant Airlines' first in-flight game show called "The Game Plane." The reality show is film...
10/20/2014 12:18 PM
Prime real estate on 41st Street in Sioux Falls is for sale. Valentino's Restaurant at 41st Street and Western Avenue has been listed for $1.35 mi...
10/13/2014 6:12 PM
An initiated measure on the South Dakota ballot this November proposes to raise the state's minimum wage from $7.25 per hour to $8.50. Suppo...
10/20/2014 12:31 PM
A longtime fast food option in Sioux Falls, the Long John Silver's restaurant is closing after more than 30 years in business.
10/15/2014 11:45 AM
Unglued: Christmas Market, will open in the space formerly occupied by the Book Shop in the Carpenter Building on Phillips Avenue from Nov. 20 through...