DESMET, SD -
A DeSmet family is without a home after their house caught fire early Saturday morning.
Fire Chief Randy Holland says firefighters were called out around 5 a.m. Saturday morning to a house on Root Avenue, near the country club. When they got there, the entire roof was engulfed.
Holland says the fire appears to have climbed up the chimney from a wood burning stove in the basement and got up into the attic.
A family of five was home when the fire broke out, but the parents and three children all go out safely.
Holland says the home is a total loss.
© 2013 KELOLAND TV. All Rights Reserved.