What started as a tip call about an apartment fire, turned into a crime scene.
Police are now trying to figure out who's responsible for the meth lab they found.
Around 6:20 Tuesday night, crews answered a call for a fire on North Duluth Avenue. Only when they arrived, there weren't any flames.
"Fire department got there. Our officers got there, made entry into the apartment. There was actually no fire, but they did see the makings of what we call a one-pot method meth lab," Lt. Loren McManus with Sioux Falls Police Department said.
The tip caller didn't give a name, but told dispatchers the phantom fire started after cooking meth in the apartment. After crews confirmed the lab, narcotics detectives in hazmat suits went inside.
The scene unfolded right across the street from St. Joseph Cathedral and Hawthorne Elementary.
Even though no one was home when officers arrived, police have a few clues to help with the investigation.
"We know who rented the apartment, or at least who's supposed to be there. We don't know for sure who called or exactly what was happening. But that's where we're at at this point. The investigation is still on-going," McManus said.
If you have any information about the meth lab bust, call Sioux Falls police or leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers at 605-367-7007.