Ellsworth AFB To Lose 22 Civilian Workers
January 14, 2012, 10:27 AM
RAPID CITY, SD -
Officials at Ellsworth Air Force Base say the base will lose 22 civilian workers next year as the U.S. Air Force undergoes nationwide staff reductions.
Combined with last year's cuts, Ellsworth will have eliminated 125 civilian positions by the end of the 2013 fiscal year.
The Air Force is offering employees incentives to retire or leave. Public affairs specialist Steven Merrill says many of the positions are in the Mission Support Group, which handles food preparation, tech support and recreational services.
He says the eliminated positions would likely involve recreation, and the base is looking to partner with community organizations to fill the void.
A statement from leaders of the 28th Bomb Wing said the base would centralize and consolidate work.
© 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.