Electrocuted Squirrel Blamed For Sparking SD Fire
November 6, 2011, 10:40 AM
RAPID CITY, SD -
Police say a squirrel on a power line caused a grass fire Saturday near a Rapid City hotel, but a group of skateboarders put out the blaze before firefighters arrived.
Rapid City Fire Department spokesman Jerry Reichert says the fire started shortly before 2 p.m. when the squirrel was electrocuted.
The fire spread to an area about 30 feet by 40 feet on a slope north of the Holiday Inn. No buildings were threatened. Reichert says that the skateboarders were passing by when the fire started. No injuries were reported.
© 2011 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.
5/19/2013 11:56 AM
The Hand County Sheriff’s Office is searching for Leroy Nye, who was last seen at 10:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 18.
5/19/2013 5:22 PM
Police are still actively searching for Leroy Nye, 80, who went missing from a home in St. Lawrence, SD and are asking for your help.
5/16/2013 12:09 PM
It wasn't the big jackpot, but more than two-dozen workers at a Sioux Falls company won't mind splitting the second-place winnings in Wednesda...
5/18/2013 10:14 PM
Emergency responders airlifted a Faulkton High School senior to a Sioux Falls hospital Saturday after a single vehicle car crash the day before her hi...
5/22/2013 6:34 AM
Authorities have identified a man found dead in a drainage ditch in Rapid City, though they aren't releasing his name until his family is notified...