User uShare Login | Register
Login
Register

Along with posting photos, videos, and stories, your uShare account lets you post Classified Ads, recipes on What's For Dinner, and Announcements.


66° View Weather Current Conditions Sioux Falls Change Location
Set Weather Options

RADAR LOCATION

TEMPERATURE LOCATION

KELOLAND.com | Sioux Falls News & Weather, South Dakota News & Weather, Minnesota and Iowa News

[0] My Saved Articles
Find local businesses
on the KELO Pages!

 

Candle Burns Home, Family Escapes Safely

October 10, 2011, 5:52 PM by Shawn Neisteadt

Candle Burns Home, Family Escapes Safely
SIOUX FALLS, SD - A Sioux Falls family escaped injury and escaped a fire early Monday morning. But the home-damaging fire isn't how Sioux Falls Fire Rescue wanted to start fire prevention week.

It took firefighters just fifteen minutes to knock down the flames at a home on the 5300 block of East Lake Placid Drive. But the damage will linger much longer than that. Fire officials say a candle is to blame. A 13-year-old child was reading by candlelight and fell asleep.

"Our strongest suggestion would be a small table lamp with a small bulb in it or a reading lamp next to your bed or desk to read by," Barry Maag, an inspector for Sioux Falls Fire Rescue, said.

The fire caused smoke damage to nearly the entire home, but as flames were spreading, the family remained under control. Each member knew how to escape, including the 13-year-old girl who jumped from her bedroom window. The family met at a neighbor's house, just as they'd practiced in fire drills.

"Five children in the house and two adults; that's a lot of people to keep track of. There's a lot of commotion, a lot of panic, but everybody knew what they were supposed to do. They went to their meeting place and everybody was safe," Maag said.

While firefighters say the damage to this house is unfortunate for this family, they also say it serves as a reminder to others to always be careful with flames.

That's one of the messages they hope to spread during this fire prevention week. They want families to check their smoke detectors, and keep the candles unlit, or be very careful.

“When using candles, make sure you're awake and you're around. If you're getting tired, blow them out," Maag said.

The charred scars of this home prove that advice is worth listening to, but having a plan saves what really matters.

The family says they don't know where the daughter got the candle because they typically don't use them in their home. They think the girl chose to read by candlelight so she could read without turning a light on and bothering others. The family plans to stay at a hotel or with family members until they're home is repaired or rebuilt.

Previous Story

Next Story


Comments





RELATED STORIES


 
Find Local Businesses on KELO Pages!

You may also like

SF Drug Ring Involved 220 lbs. Of Marijuana

8/27/2014 5:48 PM

Her boyfriend was killed during a botched robbery in December in northwest Sioux Falls. Faith Rasmussen and her mother, Theresa, have now pleaded guil...

Full Story | Watch
SF Mother, Daughter Admit To Large Drug Conspiracy

8/27/2014 10:54 AM

Faith Rasmussen, 21, and her 55-year-old mother Theresa Rasmussen admit they were bringing marijuana from California to South Dakota and distributing ...

Full Story
Lead Woman Pleads Guilty To Having Sex With Child

8/30/2014 11:39 AM

A Lead woman has pleaded guilty to having sex with a 12-year-old boy.

Full Story
Speeding Suspect Arrested For Auto Theft, Other Charges

8/27/2014 10:05 PM

Sioux Falls Police have a man in custody after a driver attempted to elude authorities during a traffic stop.

Full Story
High School Football Scoreboard: Aug. 29

8/29/2014 11:00 PM

South Dakota Football Aberdeen Central 7, Sioux Falls Washington 6 Aberdeen Roncalli 42, Redfield/Doland 0 Alcester-Hudson 34, Baltic 6 And...

Full Story


Events