Affordable Health Insurance for South Dakota’s Small Businesses and Workers: 71.4% of Small Businesses in South Dakota are Eligible for Health Care Tax Credits
By: U.S. Health and Human Services Region VIII Regional Director Marguerite Salazar
U.S. Small Business Administration Acting Regional Administrator Stan Nakano
For years, we had a health insurance market that was broken for small businesses. Because they had less bargaining power, small businesses paid an average of 18% more for the same health insurance plan offered to the bigger business down the street, and their premiums could skyrocket if a single employee got sick.
But because of the Affordable Care Act, South Dakota’s small businesses and their employees are getting better choices, starting with new protections that limit the outrageous rate hikes many small business owners faced in the past.
Beginning in 2014, South Dakota’s small business owners will have access to a new Health Insurance Marketplace—which opens for enrollment on October 1st—that will allow them to make side-by-side comparisons to find a plan that fits their budget and that’s right for their businesses and employees.
Small businesses are also seeing savings thanks to new tax credits available to help them cover their employees. Many small businesses with 25 or fewer employees have already received a tax credit of up to 35% of their health insurance costs. And beginning in 2014, this tax credit will go up to 50%. According to the Small Business Majority 13,520 small businesses in South Dakota which employ 60,500 people will be eligible for an average credit of $775 per worker.
That’s just one of the ways the law is bringing down costs for small business owners. Insurance companies must also now publicly justify every rate increase of 10% or more, which has led to a sharp decline in double-digit rate hikes. Starting in 2014, insurers will have to justify every proposed rate increase, even if it’s a 1% bump.
Additional rules require insurers to spend at least 80% of small employer premium dollars on employees’ actual health benefits, instead of the insurer’s own administrative costs. These limits have already resulted in more than $1 billion being returned to small business owners and other consumers.
Small businesses are the backbone of our communities. And in an economy where small businesses create two-thirds of jobs, owners and employees deserve a health insurance market with fairer prices, better choices and greater certainty.
Businesses with fewer than 50 employees – that’s 96% of small businesses – are not required to purchase insurance. Of the remaining 4% of small businesses with more than 50 employees, most already provide insurance. So the number of businesses that will have to begin offering employee health insurance or pay a penalty is minimal.
No business owner wants to drop coverage for their employees. For many, their employees are like a family. For others, offering health insurance is critical to attracting the kind of workers they need to succeed.
By making the health insurance market work better for South Dakota’s small businesses, the law is letting them focus on what they do best: delivering great products and services, creating jobs, and growing our economy.
To receive information and sign up for updates, South Dakota small business owners can visit healthcare.gov.