After nearly 20 years, a youth center in downtown Sioux Falls is moving to a new location.
The Bowden Youth Center on West 11th Street has provided after-school and academic supports to those students most in need since 1999. In 2018, those services will move to the Dakotas Youth Center space at 1309 W 51st Street.
The new space will include:
- Fully licensed afterschool programming
- Updated kitchen and dining room
- Game and craft room
- Computer lab with 10 individual workstations
- Herb and Esther Bowden Gymnasium, a full-size gym with stage
- Fenced outdoor green space to include playground, basketball court, and community gardens.
Volunteers of America, Dakotas runs the program. VOA says the 11th Street location, which originally housed Irving School, is too costly to renovate and there isn't space to expand for additional services.
The move is effective January 2, 2018.
© 2017 KELOLAND TV. All Rights Reserved.