SIOUX FALLS, SD
A break from rainy weather is giving several homeowners a chance to pump out flood waters from their homes. But a company is reminding homeowners that just because they dry out their homes, that doesn't mean the job is done. Dealing with the mold early could have a pay off later, and in more ways than one.
Scenes of flooding are enough to make any homeowner uneasy. And even after the water is pumped out, mayn homes may not be safe.
Workers with Steamway's Restoration Specialists that's when a different danger emerges: the mold that can grow after a flood.
"What you're seeing is only on the surface. It could be hiding behind your walls, or every time your furnace may kick on it's actually recircling the mold," Steamway's Restoration Specialists Operations Manager Kevin Smith said.
It's something Smith says that can aggravate your lungs and make it hard for you to breath and it doesn't take long to form. Mold can start growing within 48 hours to 72 hours of contact with flood waters, which is why it's important to act quickly, whether its by ripping out contaminated carpet, or by cutting out wet walls.
But Smith says for the most thorough job, call the experts. No matter which route, paying to repair your home now could make a big difference in your home's value later on.
"If people come and they see even just the tiniest bit of mold, a lot people get really, really weirded out," Smith said.
It's an uncomfortable situation that Smith says can be prevented, if you stay on top of the water.
Smith says cleaning mold with a water-bleach solution doesn't actually get rid of the mold, it only makes it invisible.