Back to: Other
May 20, 2011 04:54 PM

Mechanic Finds Problem With Zamboni

sioux falls, sd

There's new information about what caused several youth hockey players to get sick while practicing at the Sioux Falls Ice and Rec Center Monday evening.

The city had a mechanic examine the Zamboni used to smooth out the ice on Friday afternoon. The mechanic found a problem with the carburetor that caused the machine to put out emissions above and beyond the normal level.

In addition, Sioux Falls Parks and Rec Director Don Kearney says staff at the center were not operating fans as instructed. Those two things allowed carbon monoxide to build up in the building, causing the players to get sick.

More than a dozen players felt sick, and four of them went to the emergency room. Tests showed the players exposed this week had levels of carbon monoxide between 14 and 17 parts per million in their system.  Doctors say that anything above 10 is considered a toxic level.

KELOLAND's Ben Dunsmoor will have more on this story on KELOLAND News at 6.
  • Sioux Falls, SD

Keloland Live Doppler

Sioux Falls, SD - Change