Back to: Other
November 06, 2011 10:40 AM

Electrocuted Squirrel Blamed For Sparking SD Fire

rapid city, sd

Police say a squirrel on a power line caused a grass fire Saturday near a Rapid City hotel, but a group of skateboarders put out the blaze before firefighters arrived.

Rapid City Fire Department spokesman Jerry Reichert says the fire started shortly before 2 p.m. when the squirrel was electrocuted.

The fire spread to an area about 30 feet by 40 feet on a slope north of the Holiday Inn. No buildings were threatened. Reichert says that the skateboarders were passing by when the fire started. No injuries were reported.
  • Rapid City, SD

Keloland Live Doppler

Sioux Falls, SD - Change