sioux falls, sd
The city had to shut down one pool after a swimmer had an incident and this is the first big shut-down since the pool has adopted a new fecal matter policy.
The numbers don't lie. It's hot. But all of the families hoping to cool off in one of the city's most popular pools got some bad news.
“We call it an AFR, accidental fecal release in the pool,” mom Brandi Gruis said.
“When they called us out of the pool we had to sit there,” swimmer Janelle Tedmon said. “Then they told us it was closed because there was an accident in the pool.”
City officials say it happened shortly after one p.m. on Wednesday.
The Diarrhea incident means the Terrace Park pool is closed through Friday. Immediately after the closing, crews were already working to sanitize the pool. They will raise chlorine levels high to kill potential parasites left from the accident.
“We could tell something was going on because there was nobody here,” Gruis said. “Apparently there was a bit of an incident in the pool.”
And the pool is often filled to capacity.
“It's really our kids favorite place to go because of the water slides so they always have a lot of fun here,” Gruis said.
Now at the peak of one of the hottest days it's empty, leaving those depending on a dip to stay cool to drive somewhere else.
“[I’ll] probably go to a different pool,” Tedmon said.
“We'll find someplace else,” Gruis said. “There's always the garden hose.”
All the other Sioux Falls pools were open on Wednesday.
Parks Department officials say Terrace Park is tentatively set to reopen at Friday at one p.m.