COEUR D'ALENE, ID
A South Dakota man has been fined $3,000 and ordered to attend a class on worker safety standards after five workers he was supervising inhaled lead while working in Idaho.
The U.S. attorney's office in Idaho says 55-year-old John Wilhelm Myre of Garretson, South Dakota, was sentenced Tuesday by U.S. Magistrate Judge Candy W. Dale. He earlier pleaded guilty to negligent endangerment under the federal Clean Air Act.
Prosecutors say Myre was supervising five Dakota Southern Railroad workers who were using acetylene torches to cut apart steel beams on a railroad trestle near Kamiah, Idaho in January 2013. The beams had been painted with lead-based paint. The torches vaporized the lead and the workers inhaled it. One man was hospitalized with acute lead poisoning.
Myre's attorney, James Siebe, said his client had no training or experience with lead paint.