Posts marking the Great Western Cattle Trail have been put in the ground in the western South Dakota cities of Belle Fourche and Spearfish.
The markers were dedicated in a ceremony during the Great Western Cattle Trail Association's recent annual meeting in Spearfish.
The 1,800-mile trail was started shortly after the Civil War when ranchers returned to their Texas homes to find their cattle herds neglected and in need of feed. From 1866-1897, the cowboys pushed their herds north to Dodge City, Kansas, and then to several destinations in the High Plains.
The association in 2003 launched a project to mark the trail with a cement post every 6 miles. The first marker was dedicated at Altus, Oklahoma, that year.