near worthing, sd
Crews working on power lines near the LifeLight Festival grounds south of Sioux Falls started a grass fire Thursday afternoon.
The catalytic converter from a truck sparked the blaze. The driver even had a fire extinguisher in the truck, but couldn't use it because he was forced back by flames.
“The way he sounded, he got out of the truck and it started right away, so it's pretty dry, pretty quick, so just caution to everybody,” LifeLight volunteer Mark Nordquist said.
The Worthing Fire Department quickly got the fire under control with the help of area farmers who brought in water and heavy machinery. Gusty winds actually helped by pushing the fire toward some railroad tracks and away from the fuel.
No one was hurt.