Seven-year NFL veteran and Iowa Hawkeye Linebacker Coach LeVar Woods is pleased to announce the star-studded staff and schedule of events for the 4th Annual LeVar Woods Football Academy in Okoboji, IA.
Activities will begin on Sunday, June 23rd at 8 a.m. with the 7on7 Okoboji Shootout and the Boji Big Man Challenge at the Bedell Family YMCA, followed by Session 1 of the 3-Day Skills Academy beginning at 5 p.m. at the Sami Center. The camp continues at the YMCA on Monday, June 24th and wraps up Tuesday, June 25th.
This year’s Academy features 25 current and former NFL players and elite college coaches who excel at teaching and sharing their skills with young athletes!
- New to the staff this year; Iowa Hawkeyes Offensive Coordinator Greg Davis, Tight Ends Coach DJ Hernandez and Wide Receivers Coach Bobby Kennedy, and Jerry Montgomery, Defensive Linemen Coach for the Oklahoma Sooners.
- Returning Academy Staff includes Miami Dolphins Defensive Assistant Charlie Bullen, David Raih from Texas Tech University and NFL veterans Kyle Vanden Bosch, Nate Kaeding, Matt Bowen, Matt Kroul, Rich Coady, A.J. Edds, Dedric Ward and many more.
The 2013 LeVar Woods Football Academy includes:
- 7on7 Okoboji Shootout | Sunday, June 23 | Bedell Family YMCA: For players entering grades 9 –12 … “The 7on7 Okoboji Shootout is an opportunity to bring high school teams together for a day of passing game instruction, intense and enjoyable competition, yearlong bragging rights and a chance for athletes to showcase their skills in front of college coaches from all the Midwest,“ said LeVar Woods, Academy Director.
- Boji Big Man Challenge | Sunday, June 23 | Bedell Family YMCA: For the guys who play up front and do all the dirty work. Participants will be instructed on how to utilize better technique, leverage, more power and explosion in order to maximize performance on the field.
- 3-Day Skills Academy | Sunday, June 23 – Tuesday, June 25 | Bedell Family YMCA: For players entering grades 4 – 12 … Athletes will learn fundamentals, techniques and drills PROVEN and USED at the highest levels of the game. Each athlete will receive official Academy gear including 2 Nike Dri-FIT shirts.
Overnight lodging and meals are available for the 7on7 Okoboji Shootout and 3-Day Skills Camp at the YMCA’s Camp Foster on East Lake Okoboji. Space is limited and filling fast.
“With position-specific skills training from top NFL players and college coaches, LWFA is on its way of becoming one of the top summer camps in the Nation,” said Woods. “Come, be a part of it!”
During his NFL career, Woods played for Arizona, Chicago, Detroit and Tennessee. In 88 career games, Woods totaled 168 tackles, 2.5 QB sacks, four fumble recoveries and one forced fumble.
During his stint with the Cardinals, Woods was recognized as a finalist for both the Walter Payton Man of the Year and Bryon “Whizzer” White Awards for his charity and community work. He has been involved with the NFL’s Executive and Entrepreneurship programs through the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business, the Kellogg Business School at Northwestern University and the Stanford School of Business.
Woods lettered as a member of the Hawkeye football team from 1998-2000. He was a two-year starter at outside linebacker, totaling 165 career tackles including 18 tackles for loss and four QB sacks. He was a team captain as a senior in 2000 and earned honorable mention all-Big Ten honors after recording 97 tackles. He was selected for the Blue-Gray All-Star game following his senior year.
Woods attended West Lyon HS in Inwood, IA, where he earned all-state honors and was the Class 2A Player of the Year as a senior. He rushed for 1,226 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior, while totaling 50 tackles, nine QB sacks and two recovered fumbles as a defensive end.
LeVar, his wife, Meghann, and their three children, Sydney, Mason and Whitney now live in Iowa City where LeVar is Linebacker Coach for the Iowa Hawkeyes.
LWFA sponsors include Allied Insurance, Athlete Web Design, Bedell Family YMCA & Camp Foster, Bridges Bay, Central Bank & Insurance and Okoboji Motor Company. To register, visit www.levarwoodsfootball.com and for the latest updates follow the LeVar Woods Football Academy on Facebook and Twitter.
DISCLAIMER: The views of the author are not necessarily those of this station, its owners, officers, agents or employees.