Sioux Falls, SD
Smoke filled Stavig Hall Wednesday, as resident advisors alert students of possible fire danger.
This exercise looked real and that's the point.
This is the fourth year Sioux Falls Fire Rescue taught Augustana College students how to save lives in case a fire ignites on campus.
This is the first year Grant Larson will be a resident advisor or R.A.
"[We're] learning how to get people out of the buildings, how long it takes to get people out, how long you have to get people out," Larson said.
Besides getting behind a fire extinguisher, students also have front row seat to see just how quickly a fire can spread.
Fire Inspector John Wagner says this hands-on experience is important.
"The kids have lived home with their parents. Their parents have told them what to do. Now they're in college and they're kind of free and sometimes they don't always know what to do," Wagner said.
And while the students are having a lot of fun, the danger is very real. Wagner says nationally, 15 to 20 college students die every year in fires.
"A lot of the fatalities happen in off-campus housing with a lot less control and rules," Wagner said. "We are trying to educate them if they ever come upon something like this, they will be able to act and take care of things safely."
"Definitely knowing all that is going to definitely help if there is a real situation where you have to get stuff done," Larson said.
Click on the video play button below to watch as the fire grows.