Simon Property Group, Inc. (NYSE:SPG) announced today that The Empire Mall, South Dakota’s largest shopping destination for 37 years, will be completely renovated beginning in February 2013.
The extensive renovation will include new interior and exterior features such as additional seating, updated restrooms, redesigned mall entrances, landscaping, flooring, ceilings and lighting.
“The Sioux Falls trade area has experienced tremendous growth in recent years. Through this renovation, we intend to examine a myriad of ways through which The Empire Mall can better serve the needs of our customers, whether they are here to shop, dine, be entertained, or enjoy a welcoming and comfortable environment,” said General Manager Dennis Gilliam.
Interior Renovation Components:
- Complete redevelopment of center court area.
- New flooring installed throughout the entire mall, including both ceramic tile and carpet.
- Replacement of outdated metal ceilings with modern feature areas and a new, sleek look.
- Redesign of the mall’s common areas with new finishes, column features and lighting.
- New soft seating areas throughout the mall for customer comfort and convenience.
- Redesign of the Café Court including new landscaping, lighting, furniture and banquette seating.
- Modernized restrooms featuring contemporary amenities and a fresh look.
- New directional signage throughout the mall for an easy-to-navigate shopping experience.
- Completely new children’s Play Area including play elements and carpet.
Exterior Renovation Components:
- Redesign of the main entrance featuring a two-story glass façade with an extended glass awning for comfortable customer drop-off and pick-up.
- Redesign of the Café Court entrance featuring built-in exterior seating and a dynamic pathway to improve traffic flow.
- Significant enhancements to the remaining entrances, including enlarged vestibules as well as lighting and landscape features.
- New exterior signs and landscaping at vehicular entrances.
“The Sioux Falls community will greatly benefit through Simon Property Group’s restoration of a local landmark like The Empire Mall,” said Sioux Falls Mayor Mike Huether. “This substantial investment solidifies Simon’s commitment to the city’s ongoing economic development, and we’re excited to see the changes unfold.”
The mall will continue to be open during construction, with work performed to minimize shopper inconvenience. Construction is scheduled to be completed by November 2013.
“The renovation will be attractive to both current and prospective tenants. We are already working on lease commitments with several national tenants in conjunction with the renovation plans. With new tenants and a renovated mall, we can truly launch The Empire Mall to the next level,” said Vice President of Leasing, Doug Stilson. For leasing opportunities, Stilson can be reached at 317-263-2315 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 1.2 million square-foot mall, anchored by jcpenney, Macy’s, Sears and Younkers, originally opened in 1975.