SD Towns Awarded Block GrantsSubmitted By:
Published: November 19, 2012, 2:29 PM
Gov. Dennis Daugaard has awarded Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds to five South Dakota communities and Minnehaha County.
Brookings, De Smet, Flandreau, Fort Pierre, Twin Brooks and Minnehaha County will receive a combined $1,748,752 to assist with $7,072,365 of total combined project costs.
“These projects cover a wide range of community development needs, from updating infrastructure to updating spaces for youth and community programming,” Gov. Daugaard said. “I am pleased to allocate these funds for projects that are so important in maintaining the vitality of our communities.”
The CDBG allocations:
- Brookings was awarded $412,000 to add 20,000 square feet to address the need for space at its Boys & Girls Club
- De Smet will use a $515,000 grant to build an Area Community and Wellness Center that will serve residents of all ages
- Flandreau was awarded a $412,000 grant to help pay for a new Moody County Boys & Girls Club. The facility provides the only before- and after-school program for youth in Flandreau.
- Fort Pierre will use a $65,800 grant to repair 2011 flood damage to its sanitary sewer system and a $151,000 grant for storm sewer improvements.
- Twin Brooks will use a $136,500 grant to connect the community to the Grant-Roberts Rural Water System.
- Minnehaha County was awarded a $55,952 grant to expand the certified nursing assistant training program at Southeast Technical Institute.
CDBG is a reimbursement program, and communities receive funds as work is finished.
The CDBG program provides communities and counties with financial resources to address a wide range of unique development needs. Past grants have been used for improvements and construction of community buildings, water systems, and sewer systems.
The federal Department of Housing and Urban Development funds the CDBG Program, and the Governor’s Office of Economic Development administers it.
Disclaimer: This story has been reviewed but not edited or fact-checked. Views of the author are not necessarily those of this station, its owners, officers, agents or employees.